Meet the Veterinary Teaching Hospital team: Nina Karn

Nina with a young Bloodhound.

Nina Karn, a veterinary technician with our Small Animal Soft Tissue service, has been dedicated to caring for patients at WSU for the past 17 years.

Nina’s journey in veterinary medicine began at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom in Washington, where she earned her associate’s degree in veterinary technology and graduated in 2007. Her commitment to excellence is evident through her certifications, including RECOVER CPR and Fear Free Certification. She has twice been awarded the Richard Westcott Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching, which is presented to veterinary technicians or staff at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital who played an important role in teaching fourth-year students.

Originally from the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii, Nina now calls Moscow, Idaho, home, where she lives with her family, including her loving husband, whom she says is “her biggest fan.” She is the proud mother of three amazing daughters, and the family also includes Cami, an 11.5-year-old Aussie mix.

What is your typical day like at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

My typical day begins at 7 a.m. When I get here, I make sure all of our appointments have been scheduled for their radiology appointments and that anesthesia requests have been submitted. These usually happen on Monday and Wednesday. During appointments, I am available to our fourth-year veterinary students to help with blood draws, IV catheters, restraint, and sedation. Once the receiving day is done I will set up for surgeries for the following day and make sure all the equipment that is needed is available and ready. Mondays are also reserved for any emergency transfers that may need surgery on the same day. I help make sure all the paperwork is completed. Tuesday and Thursday are our surgery days. I make sure that the patient has been checked into our electronic medical record system, get them to anesthesia on time, and help anesthesia to get them premedicated, induced, and prepped for surgery in a timely manner. Once they are in surgery, I circulate throughout all the ORs to ensure that our surgeons have everything they need. I also help turn ORs over for the next patients when it is time.  I also do a lot of communication with clients prior to them coming for their appointments. 

What is your favorite surgery?

My favorite surgeries are the minimally invasive ones. Being able to be a part of such a complicated surgery which normally would require several days hospitalization but now thanks to smaller incisions they recover so much quicker with much less pain. 

What made you want to work in veterinary medicine?

I have always wanted to work with animals, ever since I was a little girl. I was always finding animals to play with, including toads. In kindergarten we had a veterinarian come talk to us about jobs and I went home that day and told my mom that’s what I was going to do. My trajectory never changed. I started volunteering at a veterinary hospital during my junior year of high school and got hired during my senior year. I worked up until tech school.  

What are the most rewarding aspects of your job?

I love my job; I love being able to teach our fourth-year veterinary students about soft tissue diseases and new restraint techniques. They are so eager to learn and want to learn as much as they can before going out into practice. My surgery residents are like my own kids. I want to see them succeed and enjoy helping them along the way. I love my patients; they make the job what it is. I enjoy seeing patients come in with a problem and leave fixed. It’s so rewarding to see them feel better after surgery. 

Where do you see yourself in five or 10 years?

I would love to be able to get my specialty certification in surgery. I know I will still be here at WSU. I have no current plans to move. 

What do you like to do outside of work?

I enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hunting, camping, mushrooming, berry picking, and hiking. It is my mental recharging time. I also love spending time with my family. 

Nina with her family and dog along the bank of a mountain river.

What advice would you give to pet owners?

The biggest advice I would give to owners is to seek treatment early. There are so many diseases that when treated early can have a much better outcome. Also get insurance when they are young.