Meet the Veterinary Teaching Hospital team: JV Ellorin

As a client, you aren’t likely to run into JV Ellorin at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital, but he plays a vital role as a medical technologist with our Clinical Pathology team in ensuring our patients receive the best care possible. JV was born in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and grew up in the San Francisco Bay area in California before he headed to the Philippines where he earned a bachelor’s degree in medical technology. While not helping to care for patients at the teaching hospital, JV enjoys spending time with his husky/heeler mix, Oni, and his partner, Victoria.

What is your typical day like at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

My shift is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. As part of the clinical pathology team, I maintain the analyzers to ensure that the test results reported to clinicians are accurate. I also assist clinicians in navigating testing requirements, both in-house and send-out, and I perform the in-house tests that clinicians order while also preserving specimen integrity and observing standard precautions. The tests we perform include but are not limited to: complete blood counts (CBC), metabolic panels/chemistry panels, blood typing and crossmatching, urinalysis, body fluid analysis/counts, etc.

What made you want to work in veterinary medicine and at the teaching hospital?

I decided to work at the VTH because of the people. My background is in human hospitals, but the people who came here before me only had good things to say about the work we do here, and so far, they’ve been right about all of them. 

What is your favorite thing about your job? What are the most rewarding aspects?

Clinical laboratory science is immensely interesting to me, partially because of the science, but my favorite part of the job is troubleshooting problems with analyzers and really learning their ins and outs. I find fulfillment in understanding the foundations of what produces the results that I report to clinicians. And I find fulfillment in knowing that the clinicians can use those results to reliably diagnose, treat, and care for their patients. 

What are your career goals?

My short-term goals are to build up my resume and gain experience. In five years, I aim to be in a lab at a supervisor or manager capacity. I’m also interested in laboratory information system (LIS) work. 

What do you like to do outside of work?

Outside of work, I enjoy playing the piano and guitar, spending time with my loved ones, playing video games, lifting weights, cooking, running, hiking, and scrolling through Reddit.

What advice would you give to pet owners?

In the context of owning a dog, I would recommend being patient, staying consistent, and not being afraid to consult professionals when you find yourself working beyond your knowledge.