Meet the Veterinary Teaching Hospital team: Catherine Clague

Catherine Clague has been helping to care for the most fragile of our patients as a veterinary technician with our small animal emergency and critical care service since she joined our team in February. Originally from Butte, Montana, she attended school at PIMA Medical Institute in Dillon, Montana, and is now pursuing a bachelor’s degree in animal science at WSU. Back at home in Montana, she has a black cat named Calci and an appendix dun gelding named Dutch.

What is your typical day like at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

My typical day is very fast-paced since I am working in the Emergency and Critical Care department. 

What made you want to work in veterinary medicine?

What made me want to work in veterinary medicine is I have always lived with animals and always wanted to work with them medically. The reason I chose the Veterinary Teaching Hospital is I also love to teach. When I was back at PIMA, I would always help my fellow graduates and it makes me feel so happy that they were able to learn something that I helped them out with. 

What is your favorite thing about your job? What are the most rewarding aspects?

My favorite thing about my job is with emergency and critical care you don’t know what is going to be coming in through the door whether it be a diabetic ketoacidosis, a dog that got into chocolate, or something else. I think the most rewarding aspect is when a patient that was in the ICU gets to go home and live a happy life. 

What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in five or 10 years?

My career goal is to either have my veterinary technician specialist (VTS) in emergency and critical care medicine or moving forward into vet school . Where I see myself in five years is having a couple horses outside of Pullman with house and continuing to teach future vet students at WSU.

What do you like to do outside of work?

I like to travel to different places that I haven’t been to before, and I also train and ride quarter horses down in Dayton, Washington. I also like to play video games, including “Beat Saber” on the VR headset. 

What advice would you give to pet owners?

Even though it may be expensive, the doctors and staff are providing the best care to your pet, and remember to also get your pets vaccinated.