Meet the Veterinary Hospital team: Eva Downs

Since 2016, veterinary technician Eva Downs has been committed to helping WSU provide the best care to our patients. Originally from Tampa, Florida, Eva is currently one of our technician supervisors and works in the float pool, meaning she is responsible for assisting with patients in more than 15 specialty services at the hospital. Eva lives in Pullman with her husband, Jess, and their 1-year-old son, Thomas. They also have two horses, a pair of hound dogs, and a duo of barn cats.

What is your typical day like at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

I am part of our senior leadership team of veterinary technician supervisors and also work in the float pool. I provide and assign technical assistance to over 15 specialty services. A typical day can range from running anesthesia cases to caring for wildlife and exotic pets.

What made you want to work in veterinary medicine and at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

My love of animals and the opportunity to grow both professionally and academically. Working at the VTH allows me to indulge in all my passions – teaching, learning, and providing quality patient care.

What is your favorite thing about your job?

I love my team and the enthusiasm they bring to work every day. I also love the versatility of the position and getting to build great relationships within all departments. Variety is the spice of life and it’s always an exciting day in the float pool.

What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

I would like to build an empire of amazing technicians and staff. I want to work closely with my team and help them grow professionally and achieve their goals. I am interested in leadership and hospital management. I would like to learn more about health care administration and possibly obtain a certificate in Healthcare Administration and Leadership from WSU’s Global Campus.

What do you like to do outside of work?

I enjoy cooking, traveling, reading/being in a book club, horseback riding, learning new languages, and the NYT crossword.

What advice would you give to pet owners?

When you welcome a pet into your life, you take on the responsibility for that animal’s welfare, health, and happiness. The same is true at the end of their life journey. Sometimes, as pet owners, we have to make the heartbreaking decision to end their suffering. I encourage owners to be strong for their friends and be present with them to offer them comfort during their final moments.