Meet the Veterinary Teaching Hospital team: Carly Collings

Carly Collings is one of our friendly patient services coordinators who greet you when you and your pet arrive at WSU’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital for an appointment. Carly, who studied and graduated from WSU with a degree in anthropology and a minor in sociology, joined our team in September. Originally from Auburn, Washington, the animal lover shares her home with her two cats, Ozzie and Jules.

What is your typical day like at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital?

A typical day for me can look like running around the business office. I just recently became the float, and I am usually on switchboard or covering breaks at reception. On switchboard, we are talking to clients on the phone and making sure they reach the right department. At reception, we check clients in and make sure they fill out the appropriate paperwork. I also make the weekly schedules and the student schedule and pictures. I’m new to it, but I am also starting to learn cashier tasks so I can jump in and help when needed. 

What made you want to work in veterinary medicine?

I love animals. Being around animals seems like an ideal environment – I mean, what’s better than that, you know? Growing up, we always had animals – dogs and cats, and a couple times we had parakeets and fish. It just feels sort of unnatural to me to not be around animals. 

What is your favorite thing about your job?

I love seeing the bond between owners and animals. It’s a beautiful thing to see every day. Here, you are always surrounded by people who care about animals – whether it’s clients or faculty. I think the most rewarding thing for me is seeing things come full circle, from the phone call I took a few days ago to checking a client in at the front desk for their appointment to see a vet and hopefully getting the answers they have been looking for. 

What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

I’m not sure where I see myself in 5-10 years, which is kind of scary, but I’m just considering different options – continuing to work, moving to a different area, or going back to graduate school. I’m just not sure what I want to do! 

What do you like to do outside of work?

Outside of work, I enjoy watching movies, working out, hanging out with my cats, and spending time with loved ones. 

What advice would you give to pet owners?

My advice to pet owners: Make sure you understand the commitment before getting an animal and do your research! Besides that, cherish every moment and take lots of pictures – you’ll thank yourself later.